Basements were formerly seen as spaces in which to accumulate a lot of junk, but the truth is that they serve much more and in recent years it has become fashionable to decorate them to integrate them into the whole of the home. Today we give you some tips to decorate a basement and thus get the most out of it since many different uses can be given according to your needs.
Especially in the old houses, there are basements, for the most part, underused and that can be put to fantastic use as an additional room, a living room, a game room, an office … the possibilities are very wide and your choice depends solely on what that you think you can take better advantage of.
Tips for decorating a basement
- If it’s not habitable, the first thing you need to do is make it habitable, putting at least one window that’s big enough to get out in an emergency. An exit route is essential from the basement itself without having to go upstairs.
- Identify possible sources of humidity, pests or any other problem to make the necessary repairs before starting the decoration and that you do not take the displeasure later.
- After finishing the works you must decide what you are going to use the basement for if you haven’t already. Depending on what you want, you may need more works, for example, if you are going to set up a bar or kitchen you will need a water supply.
- Whatever the use that you are going to give it, when decorating a basement lighting is very important since it is supposed to be a plant that is underground and the natural light that can reach it will be very little, if at all. some arrive.
- Install as many light points as necessary depending on the spaces you are going to create.
- When choosing colors, you must be careful not to create an environment that is overwhelming due to low natural light. Ideally, go for light colors such as white so that any point of light is maximized and the basement appears brighter and more spacious.